The operational status of electric vehicle charging infrastructure in August 2023

September 12, 2023

What’s the data in China – Market

Public Charging Infrastructure status: In August 2023, the number of public charging stations increased by 61,000 compared to July, reflecting a year-on-year growth of 39.9%. As of August 2023, member units reported a total of 2.272 million public charging stations, comprising 963,000 DC charging stations and 1.307 million AC charging stations. The average monthly increase in public charging stations from September 2022 to August 2023 was approximately 54,000.

Regional status of Public Charging Infrastructure: The top 10 regions in terms of public charging station deployment are Guangdong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shanghai, Hubei, Beijing, Shandong, Anhui, Henan, and Fujian, accounting for 71.2% of the total. The demand for charging electricity is primarily concentrated in Guangdong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Sichuan, Hebei, Fujian, Shanghai, Shandong, Shaanxi, and Henan provinces, with public buses and passenger vehicles being the primary users. Other vehicle types, such as sanitation and logistics vehicles, taxis, etc., have a smaller share. In August 2023, the nationwide total charging electricity amounted to approximately 3.26 billion kWh, a month-on-month increase of 10 million kWh, with a year-on-year growth of 39.8% and a month-on-month growth of 0.2%.

Status of Public Charging Infrastructure Operators: As of August 2023, the top 15 national charging operators in terms of the number of operated charging stations are TELD (451,000 stations), Star Charge (408,000 stations), Yunkuai (379,000 stations), State Grid (196,000 stations), XJ Charge (127,000 stations), U-Ev Power (110,000 stations), Shenzhen EV Power (82,000 stations), Southern Power Grid (73,000 stations), EV Power (73,000 stations), Hui Charging (61,000 stations), Wan Cheng (52,000 stations), Blue Power (44,000 stations), WAMA Power (30,000 stations), China Putian (25,000 stations), and SAIC Anyue (25,000 stations). These 15 operators account for 94.0% of the total, while the remaining operators account for 6.0%.

Overall status of Charging Infrastructure: From January to August 2023, the total increment of charging infrastructure was 1.998 million units, including 474,000 public charging stations and 1.524 million private charging stations. This represents a year-on-year increase of 24.8%. As of August 2023, the cumulative total of charging infrastructure nationwide reached 7.208 million units, with a year-on-year growth of 67.0%.

Comparison between Charging Infrastructure and Electric Vehicles: From January to August 2023, the increment of charging infrastructure was 1.998 million units, while the sales of new energy vehicles reached 5.374 million units. The growth of charging infrastructure has kept pace with that of new energy vehicles. The ratio of charging stations to vehicles is 1:2.7, indicating that the construction of charging infrastructure can effectively support the rapid development of new energy vehicles.